Why am I unable to scan after my computer hibernates?
After the Computer has gone through hibernation mode and is restarted, the user may not be able to use the scanner and gets error messages that indicates that the scanner is disconnected. In many cases you must restart the computer or merely unplug and reconnect the cable to get the scanner to work once again.
This usually occurs when the computer turns off the USB port to save power in hibernation mode.
You will need to turn off the feature whereby Windows XP will turn off the USB port during hibernation.
1. Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage".
2. On the left side in "Computer Management" click "Device Manager".
3. On the right look for "Universal Serial Bus controllers" or "USB controllers".
4. Right click on "USB Root Hub" and select "Properties".
5. Choose the "Power Management" tab and uncheck the option listed as "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", then click OK.
6. Repeat this for each "USB Root Hub"
7. Restart the computer You may also need to install an update from Microsoft. You can read more about this update at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822603.
For Vista and Windows 7
1. Click "Start" then Right click "Computer"
2. Click Manage
3. Click device Manager
The follow the same steps as Windows XP.